What is Second Step?
Second Step is a social-emotional learning program that we implement here at EMS.
Second Step is designed to increase student success and decrease problem behaviour.
This is done by teaching students:
- Skills for learning
- Emotion management
- Problem-solving skills
- Friendship skills
Well done 2-2 Ms Nouras class on showing us how to do our Brain Builder Activities!
How to use at home:
The more students practice a skill, the better they are at using it and using it both in and out of the classroom.
The Second Step website provides homelinks for families so that you are able to help your child at home
Below are instructions to access the Second Step Home links:
- Enter ‘www.secondstep.org’
- ‘Create account’ - top right corner
- ‘Enter your first activation key’
- KG1 activation key: SSP2 FAMI LY68
- KG2 activation key: SSP2 FAMI LY68
- Year 1 activation key: SSP4 FAMI LY70
- Year 2 activation key: SSP1 FAMI LY71
- Year 3 activation key: SSP2 FAMI LY72
- Year 4 activation key: SSP3 FAMI LY73
- Year 5 activation key: SSP4 FAMI LY74
- Year 6 activation key: SSP5 FAMI LY75
Second Step Announcement
This month, our school wide theme is skills for learning: listening, focusing attention, using self-talk to stay on-task, and being assertive when asking for help with a learning task.
In our morning announcements and school assembly, we’ll be reminding students of these skills, which help students be successful learners.
Second Step lessons teach skills for learning. You’ll be receiving Home Links describing why these skills are important and including fun activities to do with your child to practice them. We hope you enjoy them!
Please tell your child’s teacher if you’d like more suggestions about supporting skills for learning at home.