Welcome to the Year 3 Language Arts Page.
Here you can find information related to our reading, writing and oral language focus along with a wide variety of online resources that can be used to support your child at home.
Weekly Creative Writing Prompt
Each Thursday, all Year 3 children will be given time for independent creative writing based on a picture.
Start to form your ideas at home, so that you are ready to write on Thursday mornings. Please focus on planning your:
Challenge yourself to think of interesting adjectives to describe the setting, as well as adverbs to enrich the problem in the story.
Weekly Focus Words
Each week, we will have five Focus Words that children can study if they would like to extend their learning in the Language Arts area. The words will be related to current topics and events at school. Focus Word work is completely optional and work will not be checked or marked by a teacher.
digit conjunction adverb awareness conference
Some ideas for word study activities...
Learn to spell them - Define them using a dictionary - Put them into Alphabetical Order - Write a synonym for each word - Put each word into a sentence - Create a crossword using the words - Write a story using the words - Write a poem using the words - Translate to Arabic
High Frequency Word List
High frequency sight words, are commonly used words that young readers are encouraged to memorize as a whole by sight, so that they can automatically recognize them in print as well as in writing without having to use any strategies to decode. Recognizing high frequency words automatically is said to be advantageous for beginning readers because many of these words have unusual spelling patterns, cannot be sounded out using basic phonics knowledge and cannot be represented using pictures
Additional Online Resources
- Storynory: http://www.storynory.com
- Read To Me: http://www.readtomeintl.org/resources/
- Starfall: http://www.starfall.com
- ABCYa: http://www.abcya.com
- Oxford Owl: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk
- Short Stories For Kids: https://www.turtlediary.com/kids-stories.html
RAZ Kids Plus: https://www.raz-kids.com/
RAZ Kids Plus is a Reading Program where students have access to a massive online library. Teachers tailor the reading resources to each child so they can practise and advance in their reading skills. In Year 3, RAZ Kids Plus is going to be the main source of reading materials students will be using this year.
- Reading/Writing/Spelling Practise: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/english/
- Reading/Writing/Spelling Practise: http://www.crickweb.co.uk/ks2literacy.html
- Reading/Writing/Spelling Practise/ Grammar: http://interactivesites.weebly.com/language-arts.html
- Reading/Writing/Spelling Practise: http://www.funenglishgames.com/readinggames.html
- Practise Creating Story Maps: http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/storymap/
- Online Thesaurus to Learn New Words: http://www.thesaurus.com
- Guide to Practise Writing Process: https://www.superduperinc.com/handouts/pdf/112_Writing_Process.pdf
- Practise Drafting Using Story Mountain: http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/english/pdfs/StoryMountain_TL.pdf
- Variety of Non-Fiction Websites: http://gws.ala.org/