Welcome to the Science Page. Here you can find a wide variety of online resources that you can use to support your child at home.
Plants and Plant Life
1. How does a plant grow? What does it need to grow? Can you do anything to make a plant grow better? Can you do anything to make a plant stop growing?
PLANTS Start from a tiny seed. The seed eventually goes away as the plant grows. Seed need sun (light), oxygen, water, and nutrients in soil to grow. Roots are like branches that connect the plant to water. The bigger the plant, the bigger the roots. Plant gets stronger as it grows – stem thickens and can support more weight. Takes time for a baby seed to grow into a full-size plant and flower. Feeding a plant, regularly, can help it grow Some plants have a long life (Example: trees)
Students have been exploring the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil, and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plant. They should be able to identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants: roots, stem/trunk, leaves and flowers. And explain how the basic life cycle of flowering plants, including pollination, seed formation and seed dispersal.
- BiteSize Science Activities: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/science/
- BiteSize Review: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z2pfb9q
- CrickWeb Review Activities: http://www.crickweb.co.uk/ks2science.html
- Science Kids Activities: http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/gamesactivities.html
- Interactive Sites For Education (Science): http://interactivesites.weebly.com/science.html
- National Geographic Kids: http://kids.nationalgeographic.com
- KidsTryScience Experiments: http://www.teacherstryscience.org/kids-experiments
- PBSKids Science Activities: http://pbskids.org/games/science/